- “I always wanted to be an explorer, but - it seemed I was doomed to be nothing more than a very silly person.”
- “I mistrust total competence. I've always felt life is a series of small disasters we try to get through.”
- “Armageddon is not around the corner. This is only what the people of violence want us to believe. The complexity and diversity of the world is the hope for the future.”
- “There is barely a country in the world where you will be completely safe.”
- “Contrary to what the politicians and religious leaders would like us to believe, the world won't be made safer by creating barriers between people.”
- “I know that we shall meet problems along the way, but I'd far rather see for myself what's going on in the world outside, than rely on newspapers, television, politicians and religious leaders to tell me what I should be thinking.”
What? Who did you think I was talking about?